Gerrymandering has been identified as a major obstacle to democracy, and Pennsylvania is one of the most gerrymandered states in the union.
- A good tutorial video about gerrymandering: https://vimeo.com/232680333
- WITF broadcasted an episode of Smart Talk which focused on this topic. You can listen to it online: http://www.witf.org/smart-talk/2017/02/pennsylvanias-congressional-districts.php
- A recent article from the New York Times about the Wisconsin gerrymandering case currently before the US Supreme Court: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/us/wisconsin-supreme-court-gerrymander.html
- NPR’s radio show, 1A, held an hour-long discussion about gerrymandering. You can listen to the conversation here: http://the1a.org/shows/2017-04-03/gerrymandering-americas-most-dangerous-maps
- An article on what activists in Malvern, PA, are doing re: congressional gerrymandering: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/congressional/turninglocal-for-support-in-redrawing-voting-districts.html
- From Wired, “Gerrymandering Has a Solution After All. It’s called Math. http://”https://www.wired.com/2017/04/how-math-can-save-democracy/
What you can do
ATTEND A TOWN HALL AND HELP PASS A RESOLUTION:
Request: There are current efforts to pass redistricting-reform resolutions in Manheim, Warwick, East Hempfield and Manor Townships and in Lititz Borough. If you live in any of these districts, please show up at township board meetings and voice your support for a resolution to approve Senate Bill 22 (SB22) and House Bill 722 (HB722). If you would like to help with the effort in any of these townships/boroughs, please contact Tanis Shaw: email@example.com You will be put in touch with the people working on this effort. Resolutions have already been passed in Manheim Borough, Millersville, Marietta, East Petersburg, Lancaster City and Lancaster Township. If you live in a district where there has been no action and you would like to put a resolution before your supervisors/commissioners, contact Tanis and she will help you get started.
SIGN AND SHARE A PETITION TO TELL YOUR LEGISLATORS TO ENACT SB22 AND HB722: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/enact-sb22-and-hb722
Read PA Senate Bill 22 (SB22) and House Bill 722
If you have read these bills, send any questions you have to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you haven’t…please do! You can find it here: Senate Bill: http://=S&type=B&bn=0022 House Bill: https://www.legiscan.com/PA/text/HB722/2017 Then write a letter to your legislators asking them to support these bills.
UPCOMING TALKS ON GERRYMANDERING AND REDISTRICTING REFORM:
- “GERRYMANDERING: The Real Voter Fraud” will be presented October 24 at 6 p.m. at the Ephrata Public Library, 550 S. Reading Rd, Ephrata, PA 17522. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1874894336163537/?ti=icl
- On November 1st, David Daley, the author of Rat F**ked: The True Story Behind the Secret Plan to Steal America’s Democracy will be discussing what separates this gerrymandering effort from previous efforts, and the role that technology and the Citizens United decision played in this nefarious scheme. More information including time and location can be found here: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/daleyevent