Gerrymandering has been identified as a major obstacle to democracy, and Pennsylvania is one of the most gerrymandered states in the union.
- WITF recently broadcast an episode of Smart Talk which focused on this topic. You can listen to it online: http://www.witf.org/smart-talk/2017/02/pennsylvanias-congressional-districts.php
- For an in-depth article about the current state of affairs in PA: http://www.politicspa.com/democrats-hold-the-cards-for-state-level-redistricting/81721/
- NPR’s radio show, 1A, recently held an hour-long discussion about gerrymandering. You can listen to the conversation here: http://the1a.org/shows/2017-04-03/gerrymandering-americas-most-dangerous-maps
- An article on what activists in Malvern, PA, are doing re: congressional gerrymandering: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/congressional/turninglocal-for-support-in-redrawing-voting-districts.html
- From Wired, “Gerrymandering Has a Solution Afterall. It’s called Math. http://”https://www.wired.com/2017/04/how-math-can-save-democracy/
What you can do
ATTEND A TOWN HALL:
Request: If you live in Manheim, Marietta, or Mt. Joy, please show up at meetings and voice your support for a resolution to approve the proposed redistricting-reform Senate Bill 22 (SB22). For more information, please contact the individual identified below to support this effort and get involved:
Read PA Senate Bill 22 (SB22) and Hourse Bill 722
If you have, send one question you want Fair Districts PA to answer to email@example.com.
If you haven’t…please do! You can find it here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2017&sInd=0&body=S&type=B&bn=0022
Then write a letter to your legislators asking them to support the bill.Check out Amanda Holt’s web site that describes Lancaster County’s municipal divisions and how the gerrymandered drawing of districts creates a complex, non-contiguous mess:http://amandae.com/2011/10/06/redistricting-lancaster-lancaster-county/
OTHER NEWS: On April 18th in Harrisburg, Representatives Steve Samuelson (Democrat, Northampton County) and Eric Roe (Republican, Chester County) shared the co-sponsor memo for House Bill 722, a joint resolution to amend the Pennsylvania Constitution to establish an independent citizens commission to draw State Senate, State House and Congressional districts. Now is the time to call your state representative and state senator and ask him/her to sign on as a co-sponsor of this bipartisan legislation!