Gerrymandering has been identified as a major obstacle to democracy, and Pennsylvania is one of the most gerrymandered states in the union.
RESOLUTIONS & ENDORSEMENT TEAM MEETING:
Sunday, May 21 @ 4 p.m.
Monday, May 8, at 4:30 p.m. Manheim Township Meeting. Please consider attending this township meeting and show your support for redistricting reform. Manheim Township Municipal Building, 1840 Municipal Drive Lancaster, PA 17601 For more details/information, contact Alex K. Rich and Stephanie Horst
Tuesday, May 9, 7:30 p.m. Lancaster City Council will vote on the resolution to support Senate Bill 22 (SB22) and House Bill 722 (HB722) at City Council Chambers, 120 N. Duke Street (City Hall Annex – Marion Street Entrance). If you’re unable to attend Lobby Day (also May 9 ~ see below), please consider attending this meeting to show your support!
May 9, 11:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Fair Districts PA (FDPA) Lobby Day, the Capitol Building, Harrisburg. The event will begin in the capitol rotunda with legislators from 11–11:30 a.m., followed by lunch and legislative visits. For more information: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ac0v8EvU0o0JVlWEGIfhqB6_0403AJe0-UGbKAJaC18/edit?usp=drive_web
May 15, 5:30 p.m. Voters Should Choose Their Politicians, Not the Other Way Around (FDPA speaker), Lancaster Public Library, 145 N. Duke Street, Lancaster, PA 17602
- WITF recently broadcast an episode of Smart Talk which focused on this topic. You can listen to it online: http://www.witf.org/smart-talk/2017/02/pennsylvanias-congressional-districts.php
- For an in-depth article about the current state of affairs in PA: http://www.politicspa.com/democrats-hold-the-cards-for-state-level-redistricting/81721/
- NPR’s radio show, 1A, recently held an hour-long discussion about gerrymandering. You can listen to the conversation here: http://the1a.org/shows/2017-04-03/gerrymandering-americas-most-dangerous-maps
- An article on what activists in Malvern, PA, are doing re: congressional gerrymandering: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/congressional/turninglocal-for-support-in-redrawing-voting-districts.html
- From Wired, “Gerrymandering Has a Solution Afterall. It’s called Math. http://”https://www.wired.com/2017/04/how-math-can-save-democracy/
What you can do
ATTEND A TOWN HALL:
Senator Aument: Coffee and Conversation May 3 from 9-11 a.m. West Earl Township Building, 157 West Metzler Road in Ephrata
**If you are going, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for info on his viewpoint of PA Senate Bill SB22.
Manheim Township: May 8, 2017 @ 4:30 p.m. (See details above under “Events.”)
Senator Scott Martin:Look for announcements for a telephone town hall on May 15, and Coffee and Conversation events in Quarryville and Paradise in May and June. http://www.senatorscottmartinpa.com/
Request: If you live in Manheim, Marietta, or Mt. Joy, please show up at meetings and voice your support for a resolution to approve the proposed redistricting-reform Senate Bill 22 (SB22). For more information, please contact the individual identified below to support this effort and get involved:
Who has read PA Senate Bill 22 (SB22)?
If you have, send one question you want Fair Districts PA to answer to email@example.com.
If you haven’t…please do! You can find it here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2017&sInd=0&body=S&type=B&bn=0022
Then write a letter to your legislators asking them to support the bill.Check out Amanda Holt’s web site that describes Lancaster County’s municipal divisions and how the gerrymandered drawing of districts creates a complex, non-contiguous mess:http://amandae.com/2011/10/06/redistricting-lancaster-lancaster-county/
OTHER NEWS: On April 18th in Harrisburg, Representatives Steve Samuelson (Democrat, Northampton County) and Eric Roe (Republican, Chester County) shared the co-sponsor memo for House Bill 722, a joint resolution to amend the Pennsylvania Constitution to establish an independent citizens commission to draw State Senate, State House and Congressional districts. Now is the time to call your state representative and state senator and ask him/her to sign on as a co-sponsor of this bipartisan legislation!