Gerrymandering has been identified as a major obstacle to democracy, and Pennsylvania is one of the most gerrymandered states in the union. Here’s what you can do:
- Call your state senator and ask him to support SB22. This is a bipartisan bill that would create an independent body to draw legislative districts.
- Call the Lancaster County Commissioners and ask them to pass a resolution in favor of redistricting reform.
- Educate yourself about the issue. Here are some good resources:
- Fair Districts PA is a nonpartisan coalition of individuals and organizations working to ensure that legislative and congressional district maps are drawn in a fair and transparent way. http://www.fairdistrictspa.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/fairdistrictspa/
- WITF recently broadcast an episode of Smart Talk focused on this topic. You can listen to it online: http://www.witf.org/smart-talk/2017/02/pennsylvanias-congressional-districts.php
- This is an in-depth article about the current state of affairs in PA: http://www.politicspa.com/democrats-hold-the-cards-for-state-level-redistricting/81721/
- Upcoming events:
- Fair Districts PA is hosting an initial meeting to organize activities for Lancaster County. Thursday, March 9 at 6:00pm at Lancaster Friends Meeting, 110 Tulane Terrance. RSVP to Amy Ruffo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gerrymandering, a 2010 documentary film written and directed by Jeff Reichert, will be shown. Following the film, a speaker from Fair Districts PA will discuss the statewide effort to reform redistricting in PA. Tuesday, March 14, 6:00pm – 8:00pm at Zoetropolis Theater, 315 West James Street, Lancaster.
- Want to join the Gerrymandering RRT?
Our next meeting is set for
Saturday, April 1, 2017 – 3 p.m.
Contact Betsy Schott – email@example.com for place